Wednesday, November 22, 2006

T'Give

Holy crap. Is Thanksgining... tomorrow?!. *gulp*
I know, I know - EVERYONE says that the holidays sneek up on them. r, that each year goes by faster and faster. Its damned, true, too. the only part no one ever says - and c'mon, many of you must admit - that it seemingly loses the special magic year after year.
Yes, last year's T'giving was a blast. I held my very first one with 4 friends over AND that was the night that Betty appeared in our backyard close to midnight (oh, the joy!).
But, when I think of Thanksgiving - the first thought in my head is my mom's pink dining room in chicago. Of the time she tried to make duck - and my father and I demanded turkey for the following year. Listening to the same George Winston, "Winter," casette (my dad was notorius for borrowing people's records and turning them into tapes. Fantastic sound quality I must say). Dad carving the turkey with the electric knife - only reserved for this once a year occasion... and him inevitably gasping and licking his fingers, "Ouch - its hot!" My cats, Luckey and Smokey - now both gone, begging in the kitchen for turkey left overs. My dad's all-day long turkey soup cooking the very next day (the man can turn a 5 minute recipe into a 9 hr. ordeal). And my mother collapsing on the couch vowing she'd never do it again.
Will I look back on this year's with the same rosey glow or do we somehow reserve limited space of childhood memories like this with little room for much more? My nostalgia never seems to progress to any more recent times. Does this mean I enjoyed them less? I don't think so.. but still, somehow it feels very different. Maybe i'm more aware of this and 5 years from now - this year's Thanksgiving will have stood out as yet another amazing holiday. Only time will tell.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke Ullman said...

Just a quick comment since Rob and I discussed this post on my way out the dorr this morning. Yes, I am guilty of being nostalgic of high school & anything else older than 15 years. Its a flaw of mine. But I probably won't truly realize this until 2021.
Oh, and thanks for reminding me, my darling husband... that I was in fact crocked by 3PM last year. So that's why last year's warm, fuzzy memory... is truly fuzzy.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home