Tuesday, October 17, 2006

SPX and NFF

Just a quick recap as to what has been going on the last few weeks...
The weekend of Oct 7 & 8 was cold and rainy - bleech. We were going to attend the State Fair but didn't due to the exciting forecast. I worked at my old employer most of the day Sunday and came home to make this Ragu roast (it took hours!) and reseeded the back yard. I either need a life or a personal assistant. The roast was salty.
This past weekend - Oct 14 & 15 was jam packed with SPX (Small Press Expo - a gathering place for comic illustrators, comic-book writers and nerds... not necessarily in that order and not necessarily mutually exclusive) and the NFF (National Folk Festival held in Richmond for the 2nd time).
Due to SPX getting moved this year (the old location - a hotel- was bought out and SPX, ultimately, kicked out... so they found a new venue this year) it overlapped the Folk Fest weekend. This sucked since I really wanted to attend both. I volunteered one day at last years NFF and had such a great time, that I signed up for 2 days this year. Rob and I were forced to go our separate ways this past weekend...
Thursday, Oct 12th - the SC boys came to town en route to Bethesda for SPX. We had 4 guys crash over (that's me & Rob + 4 guys + 2 dogs + 1 bathroom = potential disaster). I think everyone had a great time (even Duane, who got the cot) - I certainly did. In fact, if we play our cards right next year - maybe we could organize an SPX pre-bash and have it become an annual event. I always like a reason to have a few beers on a school night...
Friday, Oct 13th I worked the beer booth at NFF from 5-10:30PM. It was freezing! It was the first frost warning of the year and I wore a light jacket so as not> to cover up my volunteer t-shirt. I will never worry about something so stupid ever again. I froze. And when I got home to a cold house at 11PM... I found out the furnace wasn't working. It was 60 degrees in this house and lemme tell ya, when you aren't used to the cold (as in the beginning of the season) its damned cold.
Saturday, Oct 14th I worked the NFF music tent from 11:30AM-2:30PM. I helped sell CDs but I do not think I was much of a help at all. I basically said "hi" to people. I later spent the rest of the afternoon seeing stages & music groups till 6PM. The Quebe Sisters were so good - I saw them twice. I later went home and just died... it was exhausting. But the weather was spectacular and you couldn't ask for a more fun weekend. All the people were warm and friendly - a really great event. Only one more year and then it moves on to another city!
Sunday Oct 15th - I made it a point to sit on my laurels. Well, I did do laundry and that sort of things... but mostly I was a vegetable. Rob came home just in time for dinner and we retired early.
Great weekend all-in-all.
I can't believe Halloween is in two weeks and Thanksgiving is in FIVE!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for letting the Wappies crash! Me, Justin Gammon, Duane Ballenger and Jamie Outze had a swell time making buttons and eating barbeque (even if it wasn't your homemade ribs). It was also very cool to have Rob Venditti and Andy Runton stop by for a bit. Happy geeky comic book fun was had by all!

I'm all over next year's SPX Brash and Crash at the Ullman's.

10:55 AM  
Blogger duane ballenger said...

The cot was not that bad! I actually want dibs on the cot for next year! COT!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home