Friday, July 21, 2006

http://www.nrcc.org/

Please tell me how this is NOT in support of the Republican Party?
The NRCC has been calling me daily for 2 weeks now and leaving voice messages asking me to call back to 'receive my National Leadersip Award' and how'd they'd like to do a PR piece on me. Rob couldn't take it anymore so I finally called back. The person with whom I spoke kept saying I "won" the National Leadership Award (an award brought to me by congressman Tom Reynolds?). Anyways, after a long spiel, they basically want business leaders to serve on the "business advisory council" to discuss the local economy, the rising health care costs, etc etc. They even played a recorded message from the congressman asking me to serve on this panel. In the end, you get a "golden walnut" (I started to giggle at the name of a such a prestigious award, its a replica of the gavel they use in the House) to proudly display in your office for all your co-workers to see, a plaque stating that you're a "National Leadership Award" winner to show on your office wall, and a group dinner with President Bush. Yes, she actually highlighted that I could 'show off' these things... apparently this is a bait-tactic that gets many egotistical Republicans to bite.
They want to run a full paged ad in the Wallstreet Journal (its all ready and set for press, would I like to have my name in print in the ad to show support?).
"We know its short notice but we will give you all of this for helping us with your opinions and discussions on a panel to help better the local economy. All we ask is a donation of $500... you can break this up into 2 easy payments of $250 each. Your support in this movement is greatly appreciated and we do look forward to having you speak as a business leader in your area of Richmond."
"I'm sorry, it sounds like a great movement but I am not at all in support of the Republican Party or President Bush at this time, thank you."
"But it isn't for the Republican Party, it is a Business Advisory Council designed to help better national businesses, we'd really love to have your name in print to help pledge support..."
"You can remove me from the list and I do not want my name in print, thank you."
"Thank you for your time Miss Ullman."

1 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

Um, you were MUCH nicer than I would have been!!!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home