Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Start spreading the news

The cat's out-of-the-bag at work. I have directly told about 12 people in a 50 person dept. [clap, clapping of hands] I think its official. Now everyone will know why I've been flaky. Or then again, ...I've been pregnant since damned near the beginning of working at my new job... *gasp*! Shit, they don't have the normal me with whom to compare all this stupor! Ack! I'm now just the new, pregnant, moron girl.
*sigh*.
Oh well, I'd still rather be that than freezing ass cold in an unheated attic all alone at my old place. ;-)
In lighter news - I've learned a few things since being pregnant. Namely the appropriateness of questioning & congratulating a newly pregnant person.
1. Don't ask, "Was this intentional/on purpose/planned?" Its absolutely rude. Cause what if it wasn't? Now that you've pointed that out - you're an asshole. Way to go.
2. Do ask, "When are you due?" Don't guess. Its not kosher. Especially if you guess 7 months when the pregnant person is only 4 months.
3. Do be excited for the person. Even if you don't care. Cause telling people that you are pregnant is nerve-rackingly awkward. Please help break the tension with a positive attitude.
4. Do NOT say things like, "Wow - its expensive to have kids." Particularly, since this is my first. Yes, I know it costs money and no, I do not know quite how much. But don't get me in a panic about it now - its a little too late.
5. Do not tell me, "You'll regret it" and then quickly rebound from this statement with a, "but its also got its good moments." Yes, this DID happen to me and I'm still a little steamed at the inappropriateness.
6. Do not ask about future child care plans until the person is less than 2 months from delivering (or you know them very well). She just told you she is pregnant. One thing at a time, please. We have yet to get it all straight ourselves let alone answer your nosey questions.
7. Do NOT tell delivery room nightmares. What the hell is wrong with you?
8. Shut the hell up about swollen ankles, break-outs, peeing all the time, throwing up, hemmeroids and any other awful aspect about pregnancy that you know about. I know about it, too. So, don't remind me.
9. Do pass on wise suggestions like where to buy the best, cheap maternity wear. Do not tell the pregnant woman how exactly she should future breast-feed... like your way is the only & best way to do things. Passing knowledge = good. Passing advice = can be annoying.
10. DO be funny. The best reactions I have gotten are when people asked me, "Who's is it?" or , "I know its not mine, so... congratulations!" or, "No! Why! [slamming clenched fists on desk like a kiddie temper tantrum]". Of course, I'm the perfect audience for these things. But I like things fun and light-hearted. I think of it this way - many women have been pretty serious about all of this behind closed doors before sharing their news. A fun response is a welcomed break.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jay Geldhof said...

Just a few quick words of advice for Chappy.
While she's pregnant, DO whatever the hell the wife tells you to do.
Sure the total lack of free will seems brutal at first, but will then feels quite natural once the baby arrives.
Oops, gotta go, someone's screami...

12:24 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Jay is a very wise man! I'm so happy for both of you! Just don't drop it on its head and you'll be just fine!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes!!! That is so cool!!!
Congrats! And who ever said babies were expensive didn't have relatives with hand me down baby furniture & stuff. Or bought them baby gap shoes for each month as they grew out of them way before they even started walking.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Brooke Ullman said...

So, uh, J. Chris... its equally nice to have FRIENDS with the same hand-me-doen potential, too. *hint, hint*

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home