Saturday, December 23, 2006

Updates Galore...

Short: Grandma's had a miraculous recovery.
My mother recapped Wednesday night's episode on Thursday morning. My parents went during evening visiting hours to say "good-night." Apparently, my grandma was in the hallway, in a chair, screaming "Lyon's Store! Lyon's Store! Manager! Privelidged!" over and over again & screaming at the top of her lungs. They had no idea what any of it meant. (Hell, I don't remember when I last saw a Lyon's Store). My mother decided to throw her off the track by yelling "Elder Berman's!" back at her but she just yelled "Lyon's Store!" louder. She ripped out her breathing tube (in her nose) and her feeding tubes. She flipped out and it took them hours to calm her down.
My mom said it was all horrible.
Enter Thursday afternoon. Grandma is sitting up in bed eating turkey with stuffing, gravy, potatoes and dessert. She says "Hello" and apologizes for being a -quote- "bad girl last night." And she seems perfectly sane. Holy shit.
The doctors can't get a feeding tube in her if they had too - the woman is so frail plus she'd just fight it all off again. The doctor is chanting "Eat! Eat! Eat!" and they are discussing a nursing home with rehab.
By Friday evening - she's STANDING. Nurses hold her up and get her on her feet. She's still paralyzed on her entire left side from the first post-op stroke... but if she improves today (Saturday) they will begin rehab. I talked to her on the phone for maybe 4 or 5 brief exchanges... she sounded exhausted. Her voice is scary, it dropped a few octives and she almost sounds like a baratone. I wasn't prepared for any of this. She sounded down but she sounded like she wasn't crazy - which I took as a good sign.
My God this week has been incredible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home