Friday, September 29, 2006

Week Off

This week's been great. To recap what's led to me having the week off - I put in my 2 week notice at my old employer and told CC that I couldn't work until Oct 3 (yes, Tuesday). I gave myself the time off because:
a. I more than deserved it
b. I needed it, and
c. who doesn't take a week off in between jobs?
I did tell my old employer that I was rolling on into the new job just so they didn't guilt me/ask me into staying longer... so they do not know the wiser yet. I'm sure they'll find out... it isn't a huge secret. Just thought it was better for everyone to not say anything. But, I needed the mental break!
So, the first few days I sat around. I told myself that I was going to do nothing since I had already crammed my week full with work. Yes, I scheduled appointments, oil changes, meetings and chores for my whole week off. Fun! Man, I'm a sad, sad type A.
My mother calls to tell me that they'd like to come in town during my week off - great - work without the pay. (*wink*) They arrived Monday early afternoon. I awoke at 7AM to grocery shop, run errands and cook chili before their arrival... we then finished the day antiquing. Tuesday began with breakfast out and errand running at Lowe's (I need to fill the caverness hole I would later create on the SW corner of the house. The foundation wall has more holes than my favorite pair of socks and all the rain runs through to the basement. I spent all afternoon Tuesday digging up bushes and digging up the brick wall that needed to be remortered). My folks left early afternoon. Took my car in for an oil change.
Wednesday I trimmed all the backyard bushes (after taking my car in for new brake pads. How convenient that the shop's free brake inspection came up with "you need new brakes."). I also dug up the buried brick flower bed wall that I discovered last summer. Some bricks were above ground and some were 8" below ground. It was a b*tch. I showered and booked it to the massage appointment (which, I really needed and thoroughly enjoyed).
Thursday was the Blue Ridge Pkway. We hit the ground around 9/9:30AM and got to the Humpback Mountains/hike around by 11AM. One mile straight uphill (I need to go to a doctor and see if I have asthma, I swear) and we were rewarded with the most incredible view. I'll post photos later. We then drove on to Staunton for a quick trip around the quaint downtown antique shops & boutiques after grabbing a greasy lunch at "The Beverly" (hmmmm...)
Today's Friday and I'm off to fill out new job papers, the dentist and probably wasting the day with cleaning & decorating for Halloween (yes, I am like your mother).
Saturday is an all day tour of DC museums, crashing at my friend's place in Columbia Heights and then attending "Craft Bastards!" (Rob's got a table, sweet!).

Phew! What a week. How do people do all these things over just Saturday and Sunday? I've set my alarm for every morning just to do all these things. Parts of the week were awesome (and soon will be - DC!) and parts were all work & exhausting. A need a vacation.

PS - Congrats T. Due in April.

1 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

Dang, you have all this free time, can't you even update your blog?!?!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home