Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Jobby-job-job-job

Well, I was offered a position at a 'quasi-governmental' workplace. It was a privately owned establishment that was also a sort of non-profit. They were in the business of helping people get started with buying a home. They offered me benefits including 12 +/- holidays (many of which, they just throw in there. Ex: If a holiday happens to land on a Tuesday, they would typically give you Monday off, too). I'd have my own office (windows and a door). I'd be working on a mac (I'm on a PC at my current job). I'd get to sign up for 401k right away and they match right away... plus 1%... oh, and they had a 401a plan. They also had a gym (complete with showers) and a cafeteria. *sigh*, it still pains me to mention all these great perks with the follow-up, "but I didn't take it."
The position was for a "graphic designer" and I'd be under an art director. That's not the problem (actually, I'd love to work with another graphic designer and have a director... sort of). I wouldn't mind having a designer ahead of me (the aforementioned art director) but after NOT having one for 2+ years... I feel like career-wise... it would be a slight step backward.
Sometimes I think back to my dot-com days and how I fantasized about being a project leader. I still would... they are a bit of a "dime a dozen" these days, however, and companies expect a LOT more from project leaders than what they did just a few years back. Now they have masters degrees and much, much more. It used to be that this role was like that of a consultant - those who couldn't do it told you what to do. People expect more from them today. With my current skillset... I'd need to go back to school and have much more experience behind me.
So then I think about "art director". I think becoming an art director is a natural progression for any designer who wants to "move up" in his/her career. Sometimes I begin to think how "designer"... any way you slice it... is a grunt level job. I begin to think to myself, "just a graphic designer." It sounds like you aren't talented if you carry this title for over 10 years. (yes, yes - I'm sure there are many out there who would disgree with this mentality but this also isn't your blog). I've been out there for only 7 years (although it feels like 15 sometimes) but in the world of design (and computer design at that)... some get a little boxed in creatively or loose skills on the latest programs.
Sometimes I feel like I am going stale.
Sometimes I think back to people I have met, interviewed or worked with and I think, "God, I'm good."
Sometimes I get sick of thinking about planning my career-path and I go take a break.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke Ullman said...

Hmmm,... spoken like a ,..well,...designer!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home