Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Rusty

"What did you do?" Justin asks running away for the first aid kit.

"Well, you know those rusty tree grates they have in the city? The ones where they remove the inner rings to allow more space for the trees to grow? Well, I stepped on one and... [grimmace] slipped down, slicing open the inside of my heel."

"You should get a tetanus shot."

I heard this from everyone, from the sales crew to the warehouse crew and even the IT guy. I found it all rather entertaining after awhile. All the times I scrap myself, or bump into things brusing myself, or the many times I drag myself out in public when I should have stayed at home in bed.... this tiny flesh wound got an awful lot of attention.

I called an urgent care facility. The nurse cuts me off, "You should come in and get a tetanus shot". I felt like a child with a panicked mother (which, if you haven't experienced in a long time, is kind of nice).

I left work an hour early (to beat the urgent care/ post-work rush hour) and was greeted by an extremely talkative nursing assistant who took down all my info (she recently got her socially degree with a minor in handwriting analysis. I am very spiritual and optimistic according to my signature). I was called right away to my own room.

4, yes, 4 people came in to see me. What am I a freak? Some kind of third-country victim who wasn't aware that there were cures for things like diarrhea at a doctor's office?

One nurse asks me if I am pregnant before beginning. "I highly doubt it."

I got a shot while an intern guy wraps my wound. He covers 2 oz. of neosporin with 5ft of gauze... I looked like a trauma patient. That bandage, although very lovely (just in case that intern ever reads this), ended up sliding off the cut by the time I got home... I was a mess.
Rob doctored me more when I got home last night.

Wow. So, what did I learn from all this? Fall on something rusty and be sure to tell somebody that you haven't had a tetanus shot since you were a wee baby.

As for me, I have to wait 10 years before getting this kind of attention again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home