Monday, February 06, 2006

"Customer Service"

So, back story - I took over one of Rob's outstanding Kent State student loans that came to light via a collection agency phone call in August 2004. After paying this agency off... oh, let's estimate it at 4/5's of the total amount... they suddenly told me I had paid it all off. I argued with them and told them I still owed them money. I seriously had to go through a few phone calls and a few people before I realized that the remainder of this debt had been pulled back by Kent State and sent to the "The Ohio State Attorney General, Jim Petro's Office" (I love that title... you gotta say it in full). That's the thing with these loans, they keep moving shit around hoping you'll forget and suddenly owe $10,000 in interest 3 years down-the-road, its a moving target and its all crap. So, I worked out a deal with Mr. Littlefield at the Ohio Gen's office (they all go by their last names there) to finish this outstanding balance over the course of 2005 - we settle on $100 a month. In fact, I used to over pay this amount and they'd never send statements - I'd just have to remember. I sent a check 2 days late once and boy, they were quick to send a nasty lettr threatening to ruin my credit if I didn't pay promptly next time! (So, you see where this is going - they are assholes).

My point: in 2005 I got a letter from the Federal Gov't telling me I could deduct the interest paid off on this loan (when the agency was collecting the money) for my 2004 tax return. I am now asking the Ohio General office to send me a letter for the 1/5 I finished paying off in 2005, for this year's tax deductions. I'm now getting a bit of a run-a-round from some chicky who's offered, "Mrs. Murano isn't in today - can I help you?". I give her a brief rundown to see if she can, in fact, help me. And this sassy bitch has the audacity to then say, "Well, ma'am, I will need your account #, cause you see, ...you're just talking and I don't have a clue what you are talking about." WTF? Can't she simply say, "One second. let me get your number and see what we are dealing with." what's all that extra crap about me "just talking"?
I quickly snapped back (and I gotta tell you - Rob's heard me, I generally keep my cool in these type of conversations cause these people don't make the rules & they gotta listen to people bitch all day/everday. They need respect, too. But THAT, right out of the gate, was sassy crap. Me: "You didn't ask for an account number. Ready? xxxxxx... [I prattle this bad boy off almost too fast since she seemed so intent on getting this number from me]."
I'm learning a big lesson so far in 2006 - RESPECT is a 2-WAY street. And, I'm NOT putting up with crap from people who don't respect me - no more. I'm done.
Summary: I found out from this chick that apparently, Jim Petro's office doesn't create 1099's and THAT would be the form I'd need to be able to tax deduct any interest... cause only interest on Federal loans can be written off and I'm calling a State office. And, get this, that WAS a federal loan - it was a Perkins loan. She couldn't answer WHY they were handling that loan at all and wouldn't even agree with me that it was shame I couldn't deduct anything this year. All she could say was (and you gotta hear the real unnecessary, snotty tone. she'd cut me off and talk over me just to say this phrase): "Ma'am, that is not my fault."
Me: "I know its not your fault - I'm not yelling at you or blaming you, but can't you just agree that this is all a little odd? Its a shame, really. Can't you just agree? Do you have any paperwork you can provide me with so that I can see what I have paid off and what I may already be paying for in another consolidated Sallie Mae account my husband's set up?"
"Ma'am, I don't know what to tell you but we do not do 1099's here. I have nothing to do with this account, its not my fault."
I told this bitch at this point, "You know what? You need to just calm down. This whole conversation got off on the wrong foot and YOU came flying out of the gate defensive. So maybe you need to take a moment and relax. All I want is to solve my problem and you aren't helping."
B*tch.
[ps, thanks to Rob for conveying, artistically, what I felt like doing to this snotty little girl]

1 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

Um, did you BREATH when you typed this out, or did you just let it all run together like when you get talking so fast you forget to breath?

Chabalaba

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home